We're at the end of the year and current season's anime is at their end. Thus, I will now list the anime I liked and worth watching. Top recommendations will have a * mark in the title.Winter 2014D-Frag!
- An all around decent heavy-tsukkomi and physical gag series that fits both newcomers and long-time anime watchers. Plenty of fun characters. Think of School Rumble but less romantic subplots. Very shounen humour type.Gin no Saji 2nd Season*
- The first season is really solid with interesting, well-researched theme and a cast of funny, interesting, yet larger than life characters. The development of the lead character is well done. The second season continues the overall, solid series of slice of life with mix of humour and drama in an interesting agricultural setting.Nisekoi
- Simply a solid harem romcom fanservice series compared to other anime in the genre. Animation by SHAFT is also a plus to the already-a-fan. Great visuals.Sakura Trick
- Why is a fluff fanservice yuri anime is in this list? Simply because true yuri anime is hard to come by, and not that many contains as many explicit display of affections like in this anime. Seriously, they kiss like in every episodes. So, this is in this list just because of its rarity. Usually in other anime, yuri character is a gag character or true yuri relationship is only implied, or only happens to side couple instead of a main one. Still an overall fairly funny fluff/fanservice series though.Spring 2014Black Bullet
- Personally, I have a really huge beef with how this was written and how it ended. But, I have to be fair to broad spectrum of anime watchers. This series is a fairly decent shounen action series with good animations, characters and interesting world setting. Could be way better, but it's a decent series to spend your time with. Also, lolis.Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka*
- A really really solid, fluffy, cute, and funny slice of life with cute characters with funny interactions between them. What seals the deal further is the interesting setting of the town the story sets in. It really made me feel it one of the best fluffy Slice of Life as of late. It shows the important of world-building in a series. You did your job right when you made your viewers want to go to that place and experience the fictional cultures. It's just a very heartwarming and cute series.Hitsugi no Chaika*
- Great magical fantasy action drama series with great sets of characters on both the protagonist and antagonist side. Great action scenes for shounen lover. Solid writing without a straightforward conflict like in most fantasy action series.Ishuukan Friends
- Despite it being a teenage love drama with some slice of life, it is deceptively deep and profound without being overly angsty. It has its own sweet and heartwarming moments but at the same time with sad moments as well. Quite funny at times too. Cute art style as well with warm colours.No Game No Life
- Despite with heavy fanservice and OP lead characters, it can be fairly clever at times. Definitely a must-watch for shounen lovers with great overall visuals. The Kamiya Yuu's colouring style is also a worthwhile aspect to observe. Solid shounen series.Seikoku no Dragonar
- This is your typical fantasy action fanservice anime with some kinda chosen one male lead. But, I put this here simply because I think this is way better way to write these genre than most anime of similar premise. I think this is a way better Zero no Tsukaima. It has many fanservice moments of course, but it has decent character developments and it focuses more on the main 3 characters.Sidonia no Kishi*
- The 3DCG and fairly bland(and realistic) character designs might be a bit turnoff for this futuristic space mecha anime, don't let it detract you from how detailed and well-thought this anime is. The setting is definitely well-researched. In term of sci-fi anime genre, this is definitely one on the harder side of the scale. Many great moments typical for action mecha series, also at the same time, fairly thought-provoking.Summer 2014Aldnoah Zero
- Invasion from space mecha series written by Gen Urobuchi. You can expect many great moments and twists characteristic of Gen's writings. It has many pulse-pounding David VS Goliath moments. Overall great visuals and graphics too. You might be a bit turned off by the lack of emotions of the lead character, but it's still an entertaining series.Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILYA 2wei!*
- Continuation of prisma ilya series and yes, it still continues with solid and great balance of fanservice, humour, parody, drama, and actions. It mixes these aspects so well instead of something like jack-of-all-trade, it's an impressive all-rounder. The action scenes in particular is very gorgeous and exciting. Very impressive visuals with good characters.Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun*
- An extremely humourous series that pokes fun and make parody of shoujo manga/anime cliche. It has many funny and interesting characters that defies cliches with entertaining comedic moments and writings. A very humourous gag anime with at the same times, characters you can adore so much. Definitely something that will make you laugh your asses off, especially if you're well-versed in shoujo manga/anime cliches.Rokujouma no Shinryakusha
- A slice of life with absurd premise, but with great balance of fanservice, humour, and serious moments. A cast of funny, lovable, and interesting characters. Many great comedy moments but at the same time, many great heartwarming moments. A solid all-rounder for a comedic slice of life.Yama no Susume 2nd Season*
- A slice of life with mountain-climbing as a central theme. It puts great importance on the mountain-climbing aspect and revolves around it. Certainly an interesting anime that has realistic and well-researched take on mountain-climbing but at the same time, has great and funny character interactions, and good character developments. Cute cast of characters that are very entertaining with many heartwarming and cute moments. Another solid slice of life that except, focuses more on a central theme.Zankyou no Terror
- An anime where the protagonists are arguably the bad guys as terrorists. A more grim anime in modern setting but still has many entertaining moments. Fall 2014
Fall Anime 2014 First Impressions and SuggestionsHighly recommended:
Amagi Brilliant Park:
A kyoAni entry for this Fall. Interesting setting that focuses on business and management of a theme park with many interesting and funny characters. This combined with KyoAni trademarked sharp dialogues, witty banter, loads of amusing sarcasms, and hilarious boke-tsukkomi routines. Amazing animation quality as expected from KyoAni. The magical and fantasy element also provides some interesting hooks into the setting. The genius with dark past protagonist might a bit of a turn off to some but the story and hilarity so far managed to turn that into a non-factor.
Denki-gai no Honya-san:
An anime about a bunch of people managing a manga bookstore. Funny characters with hilarious interactions between them though you might need to be well-versed with otaku culture to find half of the jokes amusing and funny. Very fast paced and energetic. Gets a little ecchi from time to time but it has lots of cute moments as well.
However, my list is shorten to this:
- Amagi Brilliant Park
- Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works*
- Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de
- Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru**
(Yes, this double * is not a typo. Trust me and put this on your high priority and just watch it.)
- Parasyte - the maxim
- Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battles
- Gundam: G no Reconguista
I think it was a good year for anime. Beside these, I think there are many other decent entertaining anime but to list everything that I think is decent is a little too much. Yeah... I might be watching too much anime...
I can't wait to see what's in store for next year.